Thursday, May 28, 2015

Film in Literature Blog #3

This wasn't my first time seeing "To Kill a Mockingbird" either. I like the films that we've been watching in this class because they are very cultural. Back in sixth grade, I read the book as well. In that time, I was learning a lot about racism and the way it worked during the times of my ancestors. Although, in that time the book and the movie were more for educational purposes than what it means to me now. Now, I watch the movie, and it appeals to my emotions as well as my knowledge. There were many things I picked up in the film that I wasn't completely able to understand back then. One of the more interesting topics that Ms. Bavaro introduced to the class was the fact that the book has been banned from schools because of the use of the "N" word. Although, it suddenly became notable to me that the movie is a good way to take pity on racism. Atticus explains to his daughter Scout why she shouldn't use the word. I also was taken back by the way Tom Robinson was put to blame. Every time this topic is brought up, it always takes me back because interracial relationships are so common and accepted today. And the fact that this entire trial took place just because Mayella's father caught her kissing a black man completely blows my mind. thought this film was a really good way to discuss societal issues that existed in the past. It also was a nice form of education and entertainment. 10/10 would recommend the book and the movie!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment