Wednesday, April 8, 2015

A Valediction: Forbidding Mourning

At first, I didn't understand this poem at all. I actually had to read it over about five times until I could completely understand it. I came to the conclusion that the poem is a poem by a man for his wife before going on a long journey. It also wasn't until I completed a TP-CASTT that I identified the theme which is identifying the strength of a bond and relationship. I found it really interesting that Donne forbids his wife from mourning. That sounds really odd because we're used to mourning when someone we love goes a way for a while because there are always risk factors and things like that. I liked it, though because it shows that their love is sacred in a way. It's special. By crying, his wife would be putting it out there to the public instead of cherishing it. My opinion totally changed after reading it over again. At first, I was thinking how annoying and confusing it was. After, I found it really deep and amazing. It really makes you appreciate and cherish those you love so deeply. It also really made me question the whole concept of mourning in general. Like I said earlier, we cry when someone we love leaves for a while because there are always risk factors and things like that. But my question is, why do we mourn when it's not a real separation? It's not forever. I mean I understand why people cry when they break up, because they will never be able to love that same person again. But mourning when someone goes on a trip sounds ridiculous because you should more be looking forward to when they come home. This poem really got to me, on a spiritual level. 10/10 would recommend to a peer.

No comments:

Post a Comment