Thursday, April 23, 2015

Blog #10, Poem #6
The Negro Speaks of Rivers

For this analysis, I'd like to speak about the title of the poem in relation to the poem itself. I just want to first point out the fact that it was obviously written in a time period before now when it was still okay to use the word "negro". At first, while reading this, I was trying to figure out why "negro" was only used in the title and not throughout the poem. It didn't seem like there was any sort of connection in the poem until I read over it again. The line "I built my hut near the Congo and it lulled me to sleep" really helped me out. From previous knowledge, I knew that the Congo was an African American occupied land. This is where I made my first connection with what the connection was. 

The poet is basically talking about his childhood and the struggles during it. That he grew up in an ancient land, had to learn everything on his own, etc. Then he ends the poem by saying "my soul has grown deep like the rivers". This shows that through all that he's learned in life, his soul has grown deep as well. He also talks about slavery, which is a huge learning opportunity for a person. It shows a person how to be strong and independent and get through any struggle that life throws at you. I liked this poem a lot although it might have been hard to understand. I feel like that's a common struggle I have with reading poems though. Trying to understand them. This poem actually does make a lot of connections to history and the world.

1 comment: