Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Those Winter Sundays

This poem is about a young boy whose father is a hard worker who makes sacrifices for him. This is shown when the speaker says that his father works hard all week long and still gets up on the weekends in winter to make sure that the house is warm. I found this poem extremely relatable to my own life. It often goes unnoticed how much work our parents do just to make sure that we are fed and dressed. It also often goes unnoticed the sacrifices they make for us. When I was five years old my father passed away. Ever since then my mother has played both roles as a single parent raising three children. I never really noticed how hard she really worked until I was old enough to understand money struggles and depression. I watched my mom work her fingers to the bone just for her kids. It was truly inspirational and made me determined to be a good parent when the time comes. This poem was simple, yet so beautiful and inspiring. It makes you realize what your parents do for you everyday and makes you appreciate them a lot more. This poem also says "no one ever thanked him". Which goes back to the point I made that nobody ever truly recognizes how great parents are. This poem was very eye opening for me. 

1 comment:

  1. this is a great articulate of the mix of the experience of reading poetry and an astute analysis.

    ReplyDelete