Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Spring and Fall

I'm not typically a huge lover of poetry, but I did love "Spring and Fall". At first, like many others, I assumed the play was written by a woman named Margaret about some guy named Goldengrove who wouldn't leave her alone. It wasn't until I used my usual tactic, reading over it multiple times, that I realized what the poem was really about. The poem is about a child coming to the realization that he/she won't be young forever. That one day everything will die, just like the leaves die in the fall. The poem speaks about how although we don't cry over the aging and death of the leaves, even though there are heaps of them at our feet, we will one day cry over death for sure. I found this totally relatable to me because accepting death is something I've struggled with since I was old enough to even know what death is. The thought of growing old is a terrifying thought, and nobody wants to accept that it happens. But it does! It happens around us every single day. That's what this poem is about, acceptance. Those of us who are terrified of death need to come to terms with the fact that it simply just happens. It happens to everyone. It's a part of life, a part of nature. This poem was absolutely beautiful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment