Monday, April 20, 2015

Blog #8 Poem #4
Ozymandias

       From the title of this poem, I automatically knew that it was going to be a name of someone. I just thought originally that it was the name of the speaker, not the sculpture. The poem itself is easy to understand, although to meaning of the poem does not really click for me. I took a guess and came to the conclusion that this poem has a lot to do with history and culture. 
       The speaker mentions that the traveler was from an "antique land" which was my first clue that this poem has to do with history. I knew from previous knowledge that "antique" is usually something that is old and meaningful. I knew that the sculpture was had a lot of meaning when the speaker says that you can tell that the sculptor was passionate about it. My next clue was that the sculpture was of a king. Today, we don't have kings. Kings were very popular in history especially the kinds that were worshiped. Finally, I knew that this poem had to be historical when the traveler read out the message written on the pedestal. The language is extremely different from modern day English. I don't want to call it Old English, because I'm not exactly sure if it's true. All I know is it is in no way modern. 
       My confusion came in when I figured out that the sculpture was in a desert, in sand land. Usually, when people make a famous sculpture, it's put some place for the world to see. This one in particular is basically just sitting in the middle of no where. Also, I was confused when I tried to put together a theme for this poem. I was unable to because I couldn't find a central message or question. When I looked for a moral or lesson, I couldn't find that either. I guess I'm just having trouble putting together the plot. 

1 comment:

  1. There are really great ideas here. And your discussion of the language is appropriate. Although this is, in fact, in modern English, however, the poets of this time were really interested in medieval (middle english) iconography.

    Good work, Geena.

    PS This is Blog #9, Poem #5

    ReplyDelete