Thursday, April 30, 2015

Anne Bradstreet, “To My Dear and Loving Husband”

This poem was really good, although I found it extremely cliché. Poems like these are the reason why I don't enjoy poetry too much. Not that I don't appreciate the art of writing, I just don't like reading the same thing over and over just reworded. The poem is basically about a woman who wants to brag about how great her marriage is. How she still loves her husband the same even after many years of marriage. In my mind, I'm like "okay, great your marriage is great.". What's the point of the poem? Don't get me wrong, I understand why people write. I also appreciate writing and peoples spontaneity. But in my opinion, writing should be unique. Not just a repeat of many other poems. 
Although I didn't exactly enjoy the poem, I was able to identify the themes of love and death. "Till death do us part" is a famous line concerning marriage. That's what this poem is basically about. Although, the speakers view of death in relation to love is very different than most. She speaks about how their love might allow them to live forever, therefore allowing love to conquer death. Scientifically this is obviously impossible, but I just find it interesting the way she worded it. She doesn't plan on staying with her husband "until death", she plans on staying with him instead of death. 
Again, not to say I don't appreciate poetry, but I don't read it often because I feel like I read the same things over and over again. I think it's completely normal for people to spill out their feelings into paper, although it should have a bit of a twist to it. Something that is going to make a reader like myself want to read it many times and even recommend it to others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment